Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Confession

I've wanted to tell this to someone for a long, long time, but eventually boxed it up, crated it, and stored it in the corner of my mind that does not think about those things.

When I got married a little over six years ago, I told my soon-to-be husband to put aside about $600-$800 to pay for the reception site. We got a deal on it because a friend of ours was a member of the location. He was then working in Los Angeles, working 80 hours a week or more, making about $3,000- a week, after taxes. Too bad it was a temp position.

At any rate, the day of the wedding came, we married, we partied and ate cake, and when it was time to go, the venue manager wanted a check. Well, the last thing I remembered to do before I left for our wedding some nine hours earlier was put a check in my bra or my wedding purse. I told her I would get one to her in the morning. Our generous neighbors offered to drop it off for us, so they followed us home, took the check, and dropped it for us the next day.

My husband freaked out when he saw the bill, just over $600-. Why? He didn't put the money aside. Indeed, he barely had enough to cover the cost of our wedding night hotel, which was about $200-. Why didn't he put the money aside? I don't know. The more I get to know him, the less I understand him.

We received about $600- in wedding cash and checks. I went through all the cards at our hotel when my new husband left me in our hotel suite to track down his cell phone.

I had to deposit that money the very next day so my check for the wedding venue wouldn't bounce. I was so embarrassed. I didn't even tell my MIL who I was very close to at the time.

And we didn't have a honeymoon--he had to get on a plane the next evening to go back to work.

I should have ran then and there, far far away, but I didn't. And I regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment