Thursday, January 19, 2012

Work

I have a job. A strange job. It allows me to work at home, keep my own hours, and work at my own pace. Of course, the longer I take, the longer it takes for me to get paid. I'd rather not say what my work is here.

I work for two owners of a business. One of the owners is older and has memory problems. Even worse than mine. She sends me things, says things to me, or responds to my emails as if she had not read my email at all. For example, let me try to re-create an email conversation we recently had:

Her: Do you mind washing, waxing, and cleaning the windows of the car, and vacuuming the interior for a new client?
Me: Not at all. I'm don't normally do the windows, but I'm fine doing it--I can do it.
Her: So can you change the spark plugs and swap out the transmission?
Me: Well, I could, but I've never done it before. Last time I worked on a transmission I just got some of that stopleak and that seemed to solve the problem fine.
Her: Oh, good, so then you can do it.
Me: I can, but I don't know what I'm doing. I can try the stopgap measure....
Her: No, that won't work, it has to be a new transmission to keep from slipping and lagging....
Me: I still don't know how to do that....
Her: I left some instructions for you (in our cloud files)
Me: (they're not there now what?)

WTF? It's like she doesn't read my emails at all.

????

Then I get an email from someone I've never met who is designing the paint job for the car, and they tell me that this boss will be swapping out the transmission. Huh. The same boss that keeps saying, "I thought you were doing it?" In response to my "Idon'tknowwhatthefuckI'mdoing."

ARGH.

I'm frustrated.

On a previous project, I submitted an invoice and a request for work on the customer's web site, and she writes the client "introducing herself," despite the fact that before I worked on his car, she had introduced him to me, she had vetted him has a client, before offering me the project. She forgot. And I was embarrassed for her. I told her, "There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to say it, but you have met John and you introduced him to me...."

It's weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment